In <a6b9336cdb62bb46b9f8708e686a7ea0115baa1...@nrhmms8p02.uicnrh.dom>,
on 08/14/2012
   at 08:58 AM, "McKown, John" <john.mck...@healthmarkets.com> said:

>Just a guess on my part, but the OP may know that Linux runs natively
>on many hardware systems: i386, x86_64, Power, i, and z. He may have
>been wondering if z/OS could also run on multiple architectures. Of
>course, on reason that Linux runs on so many architectures is thanks
>to GNU's GCC being ported to so many and the fact that the majority
>of Linux is written in C. I was always wondering if IBM could convert
>z/OS to another architecture by changing the "back end" of PL/S (or
>whatever it's called now, I just don't seem to be able to remember,
>don't flame me, please) along with an HLASM which take z instructions
>and "assembles" then into the equivalent in another architecture.

PL/S includes the GENERATE statement, which allows imbedded assembler
code. As for cross-compiling, there generally is no equivalent to an
instruction in a different architecture. People[1] have written
translation programs, but they involve flow analysis of the entire
program, not just macros handling snippets.

[1] Including me.

     Atid/2        <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>