Which costs less?

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 13:40:01 -0700, Edward Jaffe wrote:

>On 8/13/2012 10:01 PM, Jake anderson wrote:
>> Does IBM provides support running Z/OS on X86 ?
>
>Yes, with its RD&T offering:
>http://www.ibm.com/software/rational/products/devtest/systemz/

What's IBM's economic rationale here?  If it's cheaper for them to
make z/OS available on X86, then much that I read in this forum
about the economic advantages of zSeries is untrue, and IBM's
motive for not licensing z/OS for X86 is simply to compel customers
to buy the more expensive hardware from IBM.

-- gil