Just a guess on my part, but the OP may know that Linux runs natively on many
hardware systems: i386, x86_64, Power, i, and z. He may have been wondering if
z/OS could also run on multiple architectures. Of course, on reason that Linux
runs on so many architectures is thanks to GNU's GCC being ported to so many
and the fact that the majority of Linux is written in C. I was always wondering
if IBM could convert z/OS to another architecture by changing the "back end" of
PL/S (or whatever it's called now, I just don't seem to be able to remember,
don't flame me, please) along with an HLASM which take z instructions and
"assembles" then into the equivalent in another architecture.

Along these lines, "mainframe" does not always mean "IBM z" system. There are
vendors who consider an Itanium to be a "mainframe". Personally, I liked
whatever it was they ran in Eureka! "If you can't crawl around inside it, it's
not a mainframe!"

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV