> From: paulgboul...@aim.com
> For that to be an optimum solution, the panels must have been
> heavy on procedure and light on display.

On the contrary, some of the vendor panels were VERY heavy on display. So heavy
in fact that it was extremely easy for someone to slip up and fill in one or
more fields on one or more panels incorrectly. Even worse, many of the fields
on the panels always reverted back to their default values instead of the
values the person had last typed in. This not only caused errors, but was
extremely frustrating for the people who had to work with the vendor product.

The 'optimum solution' might have been to work with the vendor to redesign
their product to meet the unique requirements of the company I worked for. But
that could have taken months or years, and meanwhile the product users were
ready to revolt. So, I created a front-end panel that prompted the users for a
minimum amount of information, which was then used to drive the vendor panels
in batch. The net result was an extremely simplified process that was very easy
to use, with far less time being spent fixing mistakes.

I'm not saying this solution was optimal, but it worked well and it certainly
provides an example of how and why ISPF panels might be used in batch.

Dave Salt

SimpList(tm) - try it; you'll get it!

http://www.mackinney.com/products/program-development/simplist.html