On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:33:01 +0000, Bob Shannon wrote:

>CLIST stands for "Command List" i.e., a means to string a series of TSO
>commands together. It was rudimentary. Although some improvements have been
>added since its inception, it's no Rexx.

Both CLIST and CMS EXEC, but not EXEC 2 nor Rexx are so closely
coupled to the terminal input routine that they are the only true
script facilities, scarcely deserving of independent recognition as
"languages".  This results in the sometimes useful behavior that
the programmer can invoke a utility (often EDIT, but not PDF
nor XEDIT) and continue with inline subcommands to that  utility.
This is qualitatively different from *NIX here-documents or JCL
SYSIN in that the status from each subcommand is available for
testing in the parent script.

(Can one execute a CLIST loop from the terminal rather than
from a CLIST file?)

Rexx is the furthest from a true scripting language, suffering the
design defect (Shmuel considers it an advantage) of allowing
reference to functions prior to their definition.  This would
engender the misbehavior were Rexx to be used as a terminal
scripting language (some programmers have tried to implement
this with wrapper scripts) that a typo in a function name could
cause an endless input loop as the interpreter looked ahead for
the function definition.

I had some conceptual difficulty when I was first learing UNIX
(Bourne) shell scripting because I failed to grasp that I was
communicating with the same command interpreter from
the terminal as from a script file; I often wanted to use too
many quotes in the latter.  Rexx habit.

I understand that Warnock initially envisioned PostScript as a
general purpose scripting language, not merely for document
rendering.  In fact, SunOS 4 had a PostScript-like shell language
available.  It interested me because I had some knowledge of
PostScript at the time.  But I was never able to find its
analog of the system() command, and lost interest.

-- gil