On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 13:21:14 -0400, John Gilmore wrote:

>Other people's parsing machinery is, in my experience, usable only for
>context-free 'languages'; and since I devise and use only
>context-sensitive--yes, PL/I-like--languages, I have found that I must
>build my own parsing machinery; and this is easy enough to do using
>REXX.

No language that requires identifiers to be declared is context-free,
though some phrases in such languages may be parsed by
context-unaware machinery, usually subject to availability of a
symbol table.  In effect, the symbol table converts declared
identifiers to terminal symbols in the parser's view.

-- gil