MVSCP became available in SP 2.2.0
I think MVSCP was mandatory in SP 2.2.0.  Looking at the
IEAIPL40  and IEAIPL41 IRIMs that were introduced in
SP 2.2.0, I don't see anything that suggests that the old
SYSGEN method for creating and I/O configuration as
part of IEANUC0x continued to be supported.

  MVSCP was gone in SP 5.1.0, so that was when HCD became mandatory.
HCD did not call MVSCP.

 My recollection is that HCD was introduced in SP 4.1.0, but I haven't
found a way to verify that.

Lots of MVSCP info here:

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/370/MVS_ESA/GC28-1817-1_MVS_ESA_Configuration_Program_Guide_and_Reference_Dec89.pdf

Some SYSGEN info here:

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/370/MVS/SR20-4674-1_Guide_to_MVS_SP_System_IPO_SYSGEN_Student_Text_Jul82.pdf

Jim Mulder z/OS Diagnosis, Design, Development, Test  IBM Corp.
Poughkeepsie NY