OTOH, quantum computing (or its successor(s)) may change the paradigm entirely
and moot any 64 vs 128 bit issues because qubits are so different from bits.

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Seymour J Metz
Sent: Wednesday, December 9, 2020 11:00 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: does anyone recall any details about MVS/XA?

I remember being shocked that IBM believed 24 bits to be enough; it's part and
parcel of the short term planning that has come back to haunt us. While I
believe that 64-bit addresses will be enough for the foreseeable future, it's
not something that I would put any money on. And, yes, if 64 bits starts
looking tight, 128 bits is the next logical step, and I would be willing to bet
against outgrowing that.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://mason.gmu.edu/*smetz3__;fg!!Ebr-cpPeAnfNniQ8HSAI-g_K5b7VKg!bxS9Vu_QIUiH-uFCdybG7w1y8d3UBexMEpDcX_6nqyYVMFpNfGb1u3IXre_bTX1MzW5CEg$