From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin [0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu]
Sent: Sunday, May 2, 2021 6:24 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: And the survey says...

On Sun, 2 May 2021 12:03:00 -0700, Charles Mills wrote:

>How would such a separate IND$FILE client work? Would it somehow share the TSO
>session with the emulator? Or would it somehow log onto TSO on its own,
>despite its lack of "ability to format a display"?

I was imagining the latter, recalling days of yore when I could connect
to TSO or CMS with a serial (VT52-like) terminal.  I don't know what
would have happened if I typed CALL IND$FILE.

Remember XMODEM, YMODEM, KERMIT, ...  Hayes Kermit spoofing ...?
Maybe Kermit is the IND$FILE client.  Rocket discusses both IND$FILE
and Kermit (Last-Modified: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 17:00:42 GMT):
<https://www3.rocketsoftware.com/bluezone/help/v42/en/bz/whgdata/whlstt67.htm#67>

I recall each terminal type had a dedicated range of ports on the 3705(?);
nothing like a TERMINFO data base.

I once tried disabling software ASCII<->EBCDIC translation and was astonished
that the bits came in backwards.

-- gil