On Sun, 2 May 2021 08:18:38 -0700, Tom Brennan wrote:

>On 5/2/2021 4:15 AM, Radoslaw Skorupka wrote:
>
>> ... IMHO there is no reason to embed FTP client in 3270 emulation package.
>
>I guess it was natural for users to look for FTP on the terminal
>emulator since that's where they did transfers before TCPIP on the

I would expect that "before TCPIP on the mainframe" it would *not* be
"natural for users to look for FTP on the terminal".

>mainframe.  But I always thought that was strange.  Even stranger was
>one emulator I used back around 1996 that would lock up the 3270
>terminal while running FTP transfers, to better simulate IND$FILE I assume.

Stranger yet was Mac tn3270 X (abandonware, STTL), with a built-in
FTP *server*, presumably to accommodate sites with misgivings about
running an FTP server but OK with FTP client.

I had a major cognitive disconnect when a colleague first told me
that to use FTP on the desktop I needed "to be logged on to TSO!"
Only in later releases was the default setting to launch tn3270 with
internal FTP server disabled

Is there a possibility of a separate IND$FILE client with all the
bells and whistles?  It would need:
o Understanding of 3270/7171/IND$FILE data streams.
o But not ability to format a display.
???

-- gil