On 2021-08-30 17:28 PM, Charles Mills wrote:
Seriously, I agree with @Gil. Wasting a few bytes should be the default, not
leaving a few bytes unprotected.

It's a bit of a double-edged sword...

The behavior of REFRPROT is clearly stated in documentation:
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.4.0?topic=lpa-using-refrprot-statement

If it is desired to have all parts of a program be page protected, I suggest that it is fairly straightforward task to pad a program out to exactly occupy full pages.

To automatically extend all REFR modules to a multiple of 4K by default on a real system could result in much more than "wasting a few bytes". To put things in perspective, I have seen customer systems with over two hundred subsystems in their SSCVT chain (yes, I know the SSCVTs themselves are not programs, but they do have programs related to them), or as many as seven ISV products front-ending the same SVC. There can be a lot of products adding REFR modules to DLPA or CSA, and all those "few bytes" can add up.

--

Regards, Gord Tomlin
Action Software International