On z-architecture, only machine instructions that change or set the TOD clock are privileged.  The STCK and STCKE instructions only provide read-only access to the TOD clock and are not privileged or restricted by hardware, but they are not taught in programming texts either.

Most who are hard core enough to stumble across them in the PoOP manual tend to be put off by somewhat unusual value format and realize that direct usage of TOD values doesn't make much sense in the application world, especially when there are system calls and runtime subroutines that already do all the hard work of converting TOD values into other more-practical-to-use timestamp formats.

So, they are not restricted, but one would have to be a dumb application programmer to use an actual TOD value as an application-level timestamp, and dumb programmers would not typically be the ones inclined to study the PoOP manual.
    Joel C Ewing