LVM requires an LV (Logical Volume) to be in a single VG (Volume Group). A
VG is composed of one or more PVs (Physical Volumes). A PV is basically a
specially formatted disk partition (which can be the entire disk or
subdivision). A single file system must reside on a single LV. Which is in
a VG. Which can span multiple PVs. And so, in a somewhat indirect manner, a
file system can span multiple physical volumes.

http://www.web-manual.net/linux-3/logical-volume-manager-in-linux/

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 8:28 AM, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) <
shmuel+...@patriot.net> wrote:

> In
> <CAAJSdjhdFqcpkSUKJ9Uu+DSJh1VwwJdFT2VSHwC3P9=79nc...@mail.gmail.com>,
> on 06/10/2013
>    at 11:45 AM, John McKown <john.archie.mck...@gmail.com> said:
>
> >LUW works similar to z/OS UNIX file systems. I.e. there is a "file
> >system" which is formatted using some utility (mkfs in the Linux/UNIX
> >world, format in Windows). This sets up all the internals. In today's
> >LUW, it is usually possible for a single file to be as big as the
> >file system upon which it resides. But no bigger. There is nothing
> >like a "multi file system" file (which would vaguely like a
> >multivolume data set).
>
> I don't know about windoze, but don't LVM and EVMS allow file systems
> to span devices?
>
> --
>      Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT
>      Atid/2        <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>
> We don't care. We don't have to care, we're Congress.
> (S877: The Shut up and Eat Your spam act of 2003)

This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. If this had been an
actual emergency, do you really think we'd stick around to tell you?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown