John Ehrman knows much more about what kinds of older mainframes are
still in use than I do, and I imagine that he had good reason to use
the qualifying language ". . . so if your processor supports useful
immediate operands, take advantage".

Still, the extended-immediate facility dates back ten years now, to
June 2003; and I have found the 'new' instructions it makes available
very helpful.  The FLOGR instruction alone has, for example,
revolutionized the way in which I do bit-map processing.

I would urge any HLASM programmer who is not already using these
instruction to familiarize himself with them, for reasons of
convenience and code compactness as well as the performance reasons
John mentions.

Let me also take this opportunity to add my personal view that
base-register-displacement schemes are at best obsolescent in new
code.  There is no excuse for using them ab initio.  Equally, of
course, there is no compelling case for their doctrinaire elimination
from old code.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA