WIth a syntax error such as the one shown by the OP, there would have been
an IPL-time message such as:
IEA712I LPALST LIBRARY DATA SETS IGNORED
/*                                            -UNABLE TO LOCATE

As to why it blew up, it was likely because one of the data sets later in
the LPALSTxx definition was also therefore not included (this line was
treated as the end of input because it had no trailing comma after the
initial token which was the "/*") and some later processing needed a
module in one of the not-included data sets.

FWIW, I would think that not very many things would treat
/* SYS1.CICS41.SDFHLPA,
as a valid comment since it does not have the traiilng */.
Of course LPALSTxx wouldn't treat it as a valid comment even with the
trailing */.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design