For NIP consoles, we use a coax attached PC running, I think, the old IRMA
emulation software (or equivalent). This is attached to a Visara which
emulates a 3174. It is on an Escon CHP. The PC (actually 3 of them) even
has the old IBM 122 key converged keyboard. The one with the 24 PFK keys
along the top in a double row. Talk about old style. I often wonder about
this. But the argument is that even if the LAN dies, a production control
person can go use this PC to log onto CA-7 and continue to run our z/OS
scheduled jobs. At least until we need data from a LAN attached server. And
don't do any ftp. We have reason to not really trust the LAN people.

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) <
shmuel+ibm-m...@patriot.net> wrote:

> In <20131023075515.07f678e2041c928bd4cca...@gmx.net>, on 10/23/2013
>    at 07:55 AM, "nitz-...@gmx.net" <nitz-...@gmx.net> said:
>
> > 'we have always used a "real console" for NIP, we want to keep it',
>
> They consider a TN3270 session from a PC to be a real console?
>
> --
>      Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT
>      ISO position; see <http://patriot.net/~shmuel/resume/brief.html>
> We don't care. We don't have to care, we're Congress.
> (S877: The Shut up and Eat Your spam act of 2003)

This is clearly another case of too many mad scientists, and not enough
hunchbacks.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown