All,
Who is to say you can't have a alias DATASET name pointing to the real name
like this:

Index: /user/my/data    -> user.my.data

Of course index would need vol=ser or some how point to a catalog ...
JCL would also have to change to accept the naming convention used..

Just my $.02 worth

Regards,
Scott ford
www.identityforge.com
from my IPAD

'Infinite wisdom through infinite means'