>Who is to say you can't have a alias DATASET name pointing to the real name
>like this:

Index: /user/my/data    -> user.my.data
>You've just invented symbolic links!

I pointedly did not refer to the symbolic links so far, but I see that I have
to.

All solutions that were suggested here are too much coupled to the Unix as we
know it and/or point (correctly) to the limitation of the z/OS implementation.
I am trying to look at the thing from a new point of view, totally free of the
old concepts!

What I envision is a central system catalog that any file name created
(reasonably or virtually no limitations on file names, level of hierarchies or
any other such limitations [obviously more, much more than 44 characters and 5
levels]) would be transparently cataloged into (by the kernel itself.)
Obviously, that catalog entry would have to record (hard coded information such
as volser, mounting point or whatever have you) where is that file resides in
an absolute manner.  Any moving of the file would be recorded there as well
(regardless of what functionality is used to moves it!).  If one wants to
create an alias (perhaps a shorthand name for the file, symbolic link or
whatever have you) that would also be in the central system catalog (with two
way pointers between the entries.)
Once such a thing is implemented, all you need to do is mention the file name
or alias, regardless of where in the system or file system you are.  If you
have authority to access the file, you have it, period.  Obviously, if same
file name exists in more than one place, you must provide enough partial
information to disambiguate and allow the system to locate that file.  Such
partial information could be something like:
partial path
creating user
creating date or range
etc.

For people who are not techno-geeks this is much simpler than anything
available today.
I admit that I myself do not remember where my files are.  I use 'Agent
Ransack' on Windows and since Unix is not as user friendly, I keep many user
variables of the various hierarchies.  I don't like this.

ZA