A list of "desktop search engines" (which actually have little to do with
desktops) -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_search_engines#Desktop_search_engines

Something like Recoil / Xapian could probably be ported to z/OS.  I would
guess that the tricky part would be replacing the interface to "inotify"
with w_ioctl / Iocc#regFileInt

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com