On 2 December 2013 14:02, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 12:30:29 -0600, Eric Chevalier wrote:
[...]
>>Now suppose I have some sort of index file where the key is the
>>unqualified file name and the data is the path to that file. I can
>>search the index for my file name and it should quickly show me all the
>>locations where a file by that name is located. (Note that Windows has
>>had such a facility since at least XP.)
>>
> As has OS X.  Also search by substring of filename, and by content.

I don't know about OS X, but recent version of Windows have seriousl
"dumbed down" the search interface to the point that it's almost
impossible to distinguish between file names and approximate strings
inside the files. But for that matter, even Google insists on
searching for things vaguely close to what I asked for, rather then
the actual thing.

Tony H.