My thought.  While you are typing a command with a partial Unix file
name, leave the cursor at the end of the file name and press a PF key.
 The routine would open a popup window with a list of possible
matches.  You could select a option by tabbing to the line with the
desired match and pressing enter, or alter the search argument and
pressing enter to search again.  Would work very much like ISPF 3.4 or
the mentioned directory listing.

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Phil Smith <p...@voltage.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 7:00 PM, Tony Harminc
> <t...@harminc.net<mailto:t...@harminc.net>> wrote:
>>I don't know about OS X, but recent version of Windows have seriousl
>>"dumbed down" the search interface to the point that it's almost
>>impossible to distinguish between file names and approximate strings
>>inside the files. But for that matter, even Google insists on
>>searching for things vaguely close to what I asked for, rather then
>>the actual thing.
>
> Thank you, Tony: I thought it was just me! Drives me nuts. I wind up opening
> a command prompt and using DIR (or grep, depending).
>
> Re Google: use "verbatim" search. Look under "Search tools", then "All
> results" to find that. I discovered this when I was trying to factcheck a
> story about an elderly man who got a sensitive part of his anatomy stuck in a
> chair (I forget why this was interesting at the time, honest!). The word I
> was searching for has three syllables and begins with "t", but Google kept
> presenting results that had the word "balls" in them. "Smart" is good - when
> I search for "5 cups" and it offers "five cups", that's a GOOD thing. But it
> does go too far sometimes. (Also try searching for a restaurant whose name is
> Italian in Virginia [VA] - "va" is a common Italian word, so you get tons of
> hits *from Italy, in Italian*. Adding "language:english" to the search helps
> there).
>
> ...phsiii

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA