On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Mike Schwab <mike.a.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My thought.  While you are typing a command with a partial Unix file
> name, leave the cursor at the end of the file name and press a PF key.
>  The routine would open a popup window with a list of possible
> matches.  You could select a option by tabbing to the line with the
> desired match and pressing enter, or alter the search argument and
> pressing enter to search again.  Would work very much like ISPF 3.4 or
> the mentioned directory listing.

In a "true" shell environment (not TSO OMVS), The BASH shell does this with
the TAB key (I guess in TSO OMVS, this would be a ctrl-i, using the TSO
OMVS "escape" character to emulate the ctrl key press). If you use the
standard /bin/sh in z/OS UNIX, and do a "set -o vi", then if there exists
at least one file name which matches the prefix you entered, a Ctrl-\ (^\)
will either: (1) extend the name with the remaining characters in the
unique name or; (2) extend the remaining shared characters in the set of
possibly matching names. In case #2, with BASH, hitting the TAB key a
second time will show all matching names, letting you type in some more
characters, then TAB again. Unfortunately, /bin/sh does _NOT_ help in this
situation. Which is why I often have _TWO_ shell prompts up in separate
windows. One with my command, and another to do an "ls" command to see
which file name I want. I then cut from the "ls" window and paste into the
other window which contains my command.

--

Maranatha! <><
John McKown