On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 20:05:12 -0500, Gerhard Postpischil wrote:

>On 2/17/2014 7:34 PM, Bernd Oppolzer wrote:
>> My question is: if we had such an instruction, how would this fit into the
>> overall machine concept? And: are there some performance benefits,
>> or are there some problems with this approach, which I do not see?
>>
>> I'm sure, that some historical machines had such concepts ...
>
>The IBM 704/709/709x machines had several SKIP instruction types
>(Compare[one or two skips], Compare Logical[1 or 2 skips], Test Sense
>Switch); using the latter I could create a print string (0/1 for 6
>switches) with fourteen instructions. However, all instructions were the
>same length, which avoided problems. On zOS machines you'd need to
>specify the skip amount to make them usable in general, or use macros?

The Data General Nova had no condition code register; rather every RR
instruction had a condition mask selecting the condition on which the next
instruction would be skipped or not.  Also, a bit which suppressed loading
the target register: "Don't load; just test."  One might code a fairly long
sequence of interleaved RR instructions beginning with a conditional skip
and followed by any number of unconditional skips until the paths finally
merged at the bottom.

-- gil