imugz...@gmail.com (Itschak Mugzach) writes:
> The term 'open' for me is the liberty to choose. To choose the
> hardware from many makers and to move easily from one operating system
> to another. See how many are moving from unix to Linux so easy.  The
> mainframe is not dead nor the customers. They, who can choose, vote
> for liberty. IBM killed all alternative hardware makers and now they
> buy or resell software makers. In Israel most of the mainframe sites
> are looking their way out, telling them selves this is because COBOL,
> pricing, and other tails. The real truth is that IBM kills the
> industry by being a monopoly. The only chance I see for the industry
> is IBM allowing alternatives.

I had the discussion with the (disk division) executive that sponsored
the "open" implementation for MVS.

His view would be that it would make it easy for customers to move
applications from non-IBM platforms to MVS. My claim was industry
motivation for "open" was that it would make it trivial for customers to
move applications to whatever platform they wanted to ... eliminating
proprietary lockins that had previously been the norm. Frequently move
to the latest most cost effective platform, aka hardware platform
agnostic, promoting competition and accelerating improvements. It is
also seen in things like industry standard benchmarks like TPC
(price/transaction, watts/transaction, etc)
http://www.tpc.org/
trivia ... former co-worker at ibm san jose research
http://www.tpc.org/information/who/gray.asp

For IBM, it was sort of in the genre of SAA ... billed as application
could be run anywhere ... but really met that application could be moved
to the mainframe ... while human interface could be on some other
platform. SAA was part of communication group desperately fighting off
client/server and distributed computing trying to preserve their dumb
(emulated) terminal paradigm and install base.

The communication group had stranglehold on datacenters with corporate
strategic ownership of everything that crossed the datacenter walls and
the disk division was starting to see the effects with drop in disk
sales (data fleeing the datacenter to more distributed computing
friendly platforms). The disk division had come up with number of
solutions to correct the problem ... but the ones that involved actually
crossing the datacenter walls were constantly vetoed by communication
group. some past posts (including references to claim that communication
group was going to be responsible for demise of disk division)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#terminal

My wife had written 3-tier architecture into response to large gov.
super-secure, campus environment RFI ... and then we were using 3-tier
in customer executive presentations and taking all sorts of arrows in
the back from the SAA forces. past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#3tier

The "open" for MVS didn't actually involve anything that crossed the
datacenter walls so the communication group couldn't veto it. He was
also investing in companies that produced mainframe products that
crossed datacenter walls (communication group could veto his developing
and selling IBM distributed products that physically crossed datacenter
walls, but couldn't veto him from investing in non-IBM companies).