j...@well.com (Jack J. Woehr) writes:
> How about "if all my disparate operating systems support TCP/IP and
> C/C++, it's easier to accomplish the mission"?
>
> Which is more or less what it has come down to.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2015g.html#78 Term "Open Systems" (as Sometimes
Currently Used) is Dead -- Who's with Me?

original mainframe TCP/IP product was done in vs/pascal for VM370 and
communication group was sort of pushed into corner to eventually let it
be released ... however with some performance issues (max 44kbyte/sec
using nearly full 3090 processor). It was ported to MVS by providing
simulation for the required VM370 functions.

Open systems have had epidemics of exploits and vulnerabilities
attributed to C-language buffer length and addressing semantics (the
mainframe vs/pascal implementation was not known to have similar
problems) ...  some past posts on the subject
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subintegrity.html#buffer

I did the modifications to the vm370 version to support RFC1044 ... and
in some tuning tests at Cray research got sustained channel throughput
between 4341 and Cray using only modest amount of 4341 processor time.
(possibly 500 times improvement in bytes moved per instruction
executed). some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#1044

much later the communication group hired a subcontractor to do TCP/IP
implementation in vtam and after the initial demonstration they told him
that everybody *knows* that a *valid* tcp/ip implementation is slower
than LU6.2, and they would only be paying for a *valid* implementation.

we were also working with NSF and its supercomputer centers on
interconnecting the labs ... originally we were suppose to get
$20M. Then congress cut the budget and some other things happened and
finally NSF releases RFP (several pieces based on what we already had
running) ... but internal politics prevents us from bidding. The
director of NSF tries to help and writes the corporation a letter
(copying the CEO) with support from other agencies ... but that just
made the internal politics worse (as did comments that what we already
had running was at least five years ahead of all bid submissions). some
old email
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#nsfnet

as regional networks connect into the nodes, it evolves into
the NSFNET backbone ... precursor to modern internet. some
discussion
http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/401444/grid-computing/

some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#nsfnet