I had a brief and bemusing encounter with TPF around 1990. My employer,
Security Pacific Bank, was acquired by (the old SF-based) Bank of America,
which was then under the tutelage of an ex CEO of American Airlines. He
believed that TPF was the answer to all important IT questions. In particular,
he engineered a project to manage the Bank's ATMs with TPF, perhaps the only
time/place that TPF was charged with that responsibility--absolutely critical
for a major financial institution. It apparently worked pretty well. My
mainframe buddies there admired TPF for its lightning quick recovery--a
blessing, they said, because it crashed a lot. ;-)

BofA's contribution to TPF was the addition of native SNA support, which IIRC
they sold to IBM for a dollar in order to assure future maintenance. I have no
idea what happened after that.

.
.
.