sas...@sas.com (Don Poitras) writes:
> TPF ran lots of ATM networks. I worked at First Interstate in 1988
> working on a project to convert from TPF to MVS. And certainly any
> bank that does VISA authorization at their ATMs still to this day use
> TPF because that's what VISA uses.

(credit) card associations started out as non-profits for brand
marketing (getting merchants to accept brands) and network interconnect
between merchant acquiring and customer issuing financial institutions
(at one time 30,000 institutions). Interchange rules (amount charge
merchants for credit card transaction, had pieces for the acquiring and
issuing financial institutions as well as piece for the association
network (and other surcharges based on things like fraud history &
probability)

VISA installation for ACP for its card association network transaction
processing was possibly big part of changing name from ACP to TPF.  The
card associations were making so much money off their netework
interchange transaction charges (for card association networks) that
they changed to profit and spun off in IPOs.

Around the turn of the century ... because of bank consolidation and
outsourcing, 90% of credit card transactions were handled by six
datacenters that had direct connections and no longer needed the card
association networks. There was then big legal battle between card
associations and the six processors (who felt they no longer had to
share interchange fees with the card associations ... since they were no
longer using their networks).

ATM/Debit networks were primarily Tandem (even though the backends might
be IBM mainframes). Tandem had also acquired major ATM machine crypto
hardware vendors. Long ago I got brought in as consultant into a small
client/server that wanted to do financial transactions on their server,
they had also invented this technology they called SSL they wanted to
use, the result is now frequently called "electronic commerce".
Somewhat for having done "electronic commerce", in the mid-90s I got
asked to work in the X9A10 financial standard working group that had
been given the requirement to preserve the integrity of the financial
infrastructure for all retail payments. We did detailed end-to-end
threat analysis for nearly all kinds of retail payments (credit, debit,
ACH, wire-transfer, face-to-face, point-of-sale, internet, etc). The
result was a standard that eliminated most of the current kinds of fraud
... the downside was interchange fees have been heavily prorated based
on fraud rates ... with an enormous profit component ... actually
eliminating the fraud enormously impacts those calculations (and
profit).

NACHA Internet Council did debit pilot with support in the Tandem
network processors ... results published 23July2001, gone 404 but
lives on at the wayback machine
http://web.archive.org/web/20070706004855/http://internetcouncil.nacha.org/News/news.html

Compaq/Tandem had previously sponsored large workshop for me Jan1999 on
the financial protocol standards ... old long-winded post by somebody at
the workshop
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aepay3.htm#riskm

The CEO of one of the companies that we had been working with and at the
meeting, had been the head of POK mainframes in a prior life.

tandem ref (which includes reference to Jim Gray, which I worked with at
IBM and left for Tandem ... but by the mid-90s was at Microsoft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandem_Computers
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Gray_%28computer_scientist%29