0000000248cce9f3-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu (Ed Finnell) writes:
> As Lynn mentioned there were hardware mods for ACP/TPF to the 3081, 3083
> and 3090's. They were given new numbers 9081,9083 and of course 9190? I guess
>  shorter path lengths and such but couldn't find any details after a short
> search.

besides the 3830 disk controller RPQ ... the 3083 was 3081 with one of
the processors removed (at the time, acp/tpf didn't have tightly-coupled
multiprocessor support) that still wasn't competitive ...  so there was
3083 with specialized channel microcode operation tailored to ACP/TPF
operation. I'm not familiar something similar for 3090.

as mentioned 3081 technology wasn't competitive with clones:
http://www.jfsowa.com/computer/memo125.htm

initial 3081D per processor throughput was suppose to be faster than
3033 ... but many benchmarks have it about 20% slower. 3081K doubled the
cache and per processor was suppose to improve to 50% faster than 3033
... but many benchmarks were same as 3033.

IBM 2-way multiprocessor technology from the period slowed the processor
clock down by 10% to handle cross-cache activity. Going from 3081K to
3083K increased processor clock by nearly 15% (no multiprocessor clock
slow-down) ... 3083 mostly done because all ACP/TPF customers might
migrate to clone makers (since ACP/TPF didn't have multiprocessor
support). Faster clock and tweaks for 3083jx got it up to 16% faster
than 3081K (or supposedly almost 80% faster than 3033).

9083 had different I/O microcode load to bias for the typical higher
channel i/o loads by ACP/TPF.

It is possible that they may have done something similar for 3090, but I
don't recollect any details.