jo.skip.robin...@att.net (Skip Robinson) writes:
> I had a brief and bemusing encounter with TPF around 1990. My
> employer, Security Pacific Bank, was acquired by (the old SF-based)
> Bank of America, which was then under the tutelage of an ex CEO of
> American Airlines. He believed that TPF was the answer to all
> important IT questions. In particular, he engineered a project to
> manage the Bank's ATMs with TPF, perhaps the only time/place that TPF
> was charged with that responsibility--absolutely critical for a major
> financial institution. It apparently worked pretty well. My mainframe
> buddies there admired TPF for its lightning quick recovery--a
> blessing, they said, because it crashed a lot. ;-)

There was fantastic SE on financial institution account in LA ... he
wrote ATM cash machine support in VM370 that he showed had higher
throughput on 370/158 than TPF ran on 370/168. His trick was significant
better disk arm scheduling (than TPF) ... had patterns of ATM useage and
record layout ... and do things like delaying transaction somewhat
proportional to the record location distance from current arm position
and the probability another transaction would come in needing a record
closer to the current arm position.