edgould1...@comcast.net (Ed Gould) writes:
> Remember the *OLD* days there was a 16MB max on (even) an MP? Never
> mind the cost of $10K per meg (if memory serves me on a 168).
> Yes the newer machines have more memory but in reality you really
> don't get all that more functionality, and yes there are bells and
> whistles for the z genation.

Significant MVS bloat by 3033 was causing a number of problems ... real
storage requirements was banging hard at the 16mbyte limit. 16bit 370
PTE was 12bit (4kbyte) page number, 2defined bits and 2undefined/unused.
They took 2undefined/unused bits then used them to prefix the (real)
page number ... allowing 14bit page number or up to 64mbytes of real
pages ... allowing lots of application virtual pages to reside above the
16mbyte line.

os/360 significant pointer passing API paradigm was making 16mbyte
virtual address space limit a problem. Transition from SVS to MVS gave
each application its own 16mbyte virtual address space ... but pointer
passing API paradigm required 8mbyte image of the MVS kernel in each
application virtual address space. Then because subsystems services were
in their own virtual address space, pointer passing API required 1mbyte
CSA (in each virtual address space) for passing parameters. CSA size
requirements were proportional to subsystems and applications ... for
large 3033s was 5-6mbytes and threatening to become 8mbytes (leaving
none for applications). Subset of "access registers" was then
retrofitted to 3033 as dual-address mode (allowing subsystems to access
application virtual address space w/o needing CSA).

problem was that 4341 clusters had more processing power than 3033, more
aggregate memory and I/O throughput, much lower cost and significantly
less physical and environmental footprint. Folklore is that head of POK
felt so threatened that corporate was convinced to cut allocation of
critical 4341 manufacturing component in half.

4341 had significant improvement price/performance as well as physical
and environmental footprint resulted in corporations ordering hundreds
at a time for placing out in departmental areas ... sort of the leading
edge of distributed computing tsunami.

Before 4341s shipped, I got roped into benchmarking engineering 4341 for
national labs for big compute farm ... sort of the leading edge of the
coming supercomputer paradigm

internet+distributed computing+compute farms ... evolves into cloud with
hundreds of thousands of systems and millions of processors in each
cloud megadatacenter (system&software costs have dropped to such a level
that power&cooling are starting to dominate cloud costs).

old email about air force data systems coming out to talk about 20
4341s, spring of 1979 (they had a few mainframes in their datacenter),
but by the time they got around to caming out fall of 1979, it had
jumped to 210 4341s.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001m.html#email790404
and
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001m.html#email790404b