From:   Ed Jaffe <edja...@phoenixsoftware.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Date:   09/03/2016 16:12
Subject:        Re: Does everybody use chargeback?
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

On 3/8/2016 9:59 PM, Jesse 1 Robinson wrote:
> -- A data base application was redesigned at the last minute to read the
entire data base into memory at startup. The business unit noticed that
they were charged for I/O but not for memory use. It was cheaper to occupy
virtual storage than to perform reads. So much for common sense.

They were obviously ahead of their time! These days, memory-mapped files
are highly encouraged as one way to utilize that "free" memory everyone
is getting on their z13!

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc