Are you saying that the icon isn't visible at all on IE, or just as easy to
miss as on any other browser? I opened
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2/en/homepage.html
 in both FF and IE, and they look technically the same on both, though I
certainly realize that individual circumstances differ.

Per https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A2GF0UFHIYG9VQ , Kindles currently
support unzipped and validated ePubs and only those Mobis that are created with
Amazon tools such as KindleGen. So, I believe that your Kindle, if you were in
a pinch and had to use it, would be able to read a z/OS book in ePub format.
It's a pretty widely-accepted format, and similar (even superior) to PDFs in
many respects as long as you have a good reader.