(Timothy Sipples) writes:
> No, not optimistic. Mere fact. Sun Microsystems made Java 1.0
> generally available for download on January 23, 1996, for the Windows
> 95, Windows NT, and Solaris operating systems (three different
> operating systems across two different processor architectures). That
> was over two decades ago.

re: ABO Automatic Binary Optimizer ABO Automatic Binary Optimizer

trivia: general manager of the sun business group responsible for java
had formally been at IBM Los Gatos lab ... and one of two people
responsible for the original mainframe pascal (I got invited to the JAVA

In the early 90s, object language were all the rage and (at least) both
Apple and Sun were doing new operating systems (Apple's Pink and Sun's

Before SUN abandon'ed SPRING, I was asked if I would be interested in
coming onboard and bringing SPRING to commercial quality for release (I
did some review and then declined). Note the SPRING and GREEN (JAVA)
people claimed that there was no overlap between the two ... although
from SPRING: A Client-Side Stub Interpreter

We have built a research operating system in which all services are
presented through interfaces described by an interface description
language. The system consists of a micro-kernel that supports a small
number of these interfaces, and a large number of interfaces that are
implemented by user-level code. A typical service implements one or
more interfaces, but is a client of many other interfaces that are
implemented elsewhere in the system. We have an interface compiler
that generates client-side and service-side stubs to deliver calls
from clients to services providing location transparency if the client
and server are in different address spaces. The code for client-side
stubs was occupying a large amount of the text space on our clients,
so a stub interpreter was written to replace the client-side stub
methods. The result was that we traded 125k bytes of stub code for 13k
bytes of stub descriptions and 4k bytes of stub interpreter. This
paper describes the stub interpreter, the stub descriptions, and
discusses some alternatives.

... snip ...

note that I've periodically claimed that the father of 801/RISC had gone
to the opposite extreme of the (failed) Future System effort. In the
late 70s, there was an effort to replace a myriad of internal IBM
microprocessors all, with 801/RISC (Iliad) ... controlers, low &
mid-range 370, AS/400 (follow-on to S/38). The 4361 & 4381 (followon to
4331 and 4341) were originally going to be Iliad microprocessors. For
the 4361/4381 Iliad, they were looking in addition to straight
interpreting 370 (like early generations of 360 & 370), a JIT
(just-in-time) compiler that took snipets of 370->801. In the early 70s,
I had written a PLI program that analyzed 370 assembler programs,
creating a high-level abstraction of the instructions and program flow
... and got asked to spend some time talking to the Iliad/JIT
people. Note for various reasons, these Iliad efforts failed and all
reverted to doing traditional CISC processors (and some of the RISC/801
engineers leave and start showing up at other companies working on RISC

In the late 80s some 370 emulation efforts started which morph into
Hercules and other offerings. At least one of the commercial 370
emulator offerings implemented JIT (370->native) on-the-fly (for intel &
sparc) for high-use 370 code snippets.

During the 90s, there was a lot about the RISC throughput performance
advantage over I86. However, starting about two decades ago, I86
processor implementations started doing hardware translation of I86
instructions to series of risc micro-ops for actual execution ... which
has contributed to largely closing the throughput difference between I86
and RISC processors.

send email to with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN