It is a cinch that Java was designed if not from the get-go then certainly from
infancy for JIT compiling and so forth. I am sure the ABO was far from the
minds of the authors of COBOL II.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tony Harminc
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2016 1:45 PM
Subject: Re: ABO Automatic Binary Optimizer

On 13 October 2016 at 14:47, Bill Woodger <> wrote:
> No, it doesn't turn the machine-code (ESA/370) into anything intermediate.

Are you quite sure?

> Yes, it knows something of the internals, and yes it knows things it can and
> can't do with that knowledge.
> "There is much more to go wrong in the ABO process"
> Why, and with what supporting information?

As I said, the JVM class file format is extremely well documented, and was
designed to be interpreted and verified. The output of various old COBOL
compilers much less so. Well, no, I don't have the negative supporting evidence
(lack of doc on the COBOL object code), but I'm willing to bet...

send email to with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN