On 13 October 2016 at 14:47, Bill Woodger <bill.wood...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No, it doesn't turn the machine-code (ESA/370) into anything intermediate.

Are you quite sure?

> Yes, it knows something of the internals, and yes it knows things it can and
> can't do with that knowledge.
>
> "There is much more to go wrong in the ABO process"
>
> Why, and with what supporting information?

As I said, the JVM class file format is extremely well documented, and
was designed to be interpreted and verified. The output of various old
COBOL compilers much less so. Well, no, I don't have the negative
supporting evidence (lack of doc on the COBOL object code), but I'm
willing to bet...

To be clear, I think ABO is a great idea with great potential. And
probably it works really well. But if worked at a bank or insurance
company, I wouldn't be quick to say "oh it's still the same program,
it'll work fine, just bang it into production".

Tony H.