From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Tuesday, 13 December 2016 1:14 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: I/O error substituting symbols in sysin

On 2016-12-12, at 00:56, Anthony Thompson wrote:

> Ran this JCL :
>
> //<jobcard stuff>
> //  EXPORT SYMLIST=*
> //  SET TEST='THIS IS THE VALUE OF THE SUBSTITUTED STRING.'
> //STEP1    EXEC  PGM=IEBGENER
> //SYSUT1    DD  DATA,SYMBOLS=JCLONLY
> &TEST
> /*
> //SYSUT2    DD  SYSOUT=(,)
> //SYSPRINT  DD  SYSOUT=(,)
> //SYSIN     DD  DUMMY
>
> Only removed the DCB on SYSUT1. Job worked.

Than's not "only".  You also changed the content of SYSUT1 in my example.  Try
it with the SYSUT1 I cited, with or without DCB:

//SYSUT1    DD  *,SYMBOLS=JCLONLY,DCB=LRECL=222
   This is a test of symbol use in instream data sets.   Test here: &TEST

On 2016-12-12, at 02:50, Anthony Thompson wrote:

> Just so. But anyone can frig around with invalid DCB's and make any utility
> break.

What do you claim was invalid about my DCB.  Cite Reference.

-- gil