[Default] On 27 Dec 2016 14:21:57 -0800, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
bill.wood...@gmail.com (Bill Woodger) wrote:

>Thanks. I think you are probably "getting away with it". Since you are not
>using any data from a COBOL program, that DATA(31) is not an issue. I suspect
>in your bindered program, the COBOL programs are always "below the line", so
>the return-address is not getting accidentally truncated. I think if you were
>to what a 16MB table into the initial COBOL program that the binder would
>complain. If not, you'd get a run-time problem of some type.

COBOL programs have been handling DATA(31) since COBOL for MVS and VM
and in the LE versions.  DATA(24) is unusual.  Limits have gradually
been relaxed and so for Enterpris 5.1 a single data item can be 1
billion bytes minus 1 or 999,999,999 bytes so unless the program has
been compiled AMODE(24) there wouldn't be a problem.  I just checked
using Google to the appropriate IBM page.

Clark Morris