>><snip>
>>I think i am right in saying that RMODE(ANY) sees the program with
>>RMODE(24) and
>>its ok to execute and the I/O buffers are they 24bit or 31....
>></snip>
>>It seems unlikely that the calling program pays any attention to the RMODE
>>
>>of anything that it calls.
>>
>>It is up to the caller to meet the requirements of the callee. If the=20
>>callee is AMODE 24, then it would be expected that any data passed from=20
>>the caller to the callee be below 16M. That includes save area and=20
>>parameter list.

>Does COBOL actually have any support for AMODE-switching calls?

Yes, if you use a feature called "COBOL dynamic CALL" then a library routine
gets control and can do AMODE switching before you enter the called program.
There are 3 ways to get COBOL CALL statements to be dynamic these days!
DYNAM compiler option for CALL literal statements, CALL identifier statements,
and the >>CALLINTERFACE compiler directive.

Cheers,
TomR              >> COBOL is the Language of the Future! <<