On 13/01/2017 5:56 AM, Frank Swarbrick wrote:
Can you give a bit more detail on how you are utilizing this Ant SSH process?
I don't know anything about Ant.  I am thinking/wondering how it might be used
in conjunction with Git for source code management of z/OS COBOL programs (and
jobs).  I know that Rocket is releasing a z/OS version of Git, but it still
seems to me that for the main part of development (that is, other than the move
of code to production) it would be useful to use Eclipse to update the source
code on the local workstation and just send it (perhaps using this Ant SSH
interface?) to z/OS to be compiled.  Or something like that!

I'm using Rockets git port for active development now it's GA (in fact I was when it was still in beta). We use SMB network shares which are mounted on Windows where I use Slickedit for C++ and HLASM. We run bitbucket locally so the git servers are running on Windows servers. To share code between different systems using git is easy. Once you've cloned the repos just keep them in sync but doing "git push" on one system and "git pull" on the other to fetch the updates. We've had code review meetings where bugs are being fixed on different systems and then pushed and pulled right there and then! All our Java development is done using Eclipse on Windows. When we want to deploy it on z/OS we just use the push/pull method and then build using maven. Git has revolutionized the way we work. We also run Jira which has bitbucket integration. We manage our projects using weekly agile sprints from a backlog using Jira tasks. Each task is attached to a git branch in bitbucket (press of a button). When the code is complete we use pull requests which double up as code reviews (pull requests and merges are done by different members of the team). We can then track every line of code to a Jira task.

Git has become indispensable. I've suggest to management that we should pay Rocket for support.

Thanks,

Frank

________________________________
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of Kirk Wolf
<k...@dovetail.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2017 1:26 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: New free / open source z/OS tools from Dovetailed Technologies

Today we have released several new free / open source tools on our website:
       See the new "Community" page at: http://dovetail.com
Dovetailed Technologies, LLC<http://dovetail.com/>
dovetail.com
Using Co:Z SFTP-server, systems with OpenSSH or another SFTP compatible client
may transfer files directly to z/OS datasets, controlling all aspects of
dataset ...

Some highlights:

*Ant SSH* is a set of enhanced SSH tasks for Apache Ant.  For many years we
have used a workstation IDE (Eclipse) as a code editor for  C/C++, Java,
and some Assembler.  We find this tool to be indispensable since it allows
us with one button click in a couple of seconds to upload any dirty source
files and run an incremental build (make) on z/OS.   These custom Ant tasks
can be used with any (or no) IDE.

*ncdu* is a curses based user interface for navigating Unix file systems,
which can be very useful when trying to cull unused files from a highly
populated file system. The main interface makes it easy to quickly see
which directories contain the heaviest disk usage and the navigational
model is very intuitive, making it easy to traverse and delete files and
directories that are no longer needed.

One thing that we have done is to include our source project for *ncdu* that
includes a z/OS Makefile and Ant build.xml script that uses Ant-SSH.  This
serves as a complete demonstration of using a workstation IDE to develop
for z/OS.

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com
Dovetailed Technologies, LLC<http://dovetail.com/>
dovetail.com
Using Co:Z SFTP-server, systems with OpenSSH or another SFTP compatible client
may transfer files directly to z/OS datasets, controlling all aspects of
dataset ...

*Join us at SHARE in San Jose*
      Thursday, March 09, 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM
      Finding the Needle in a Haystack - Diagnosing Common OpenSSH Problems