From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2017 10:14 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Git: Re: New free / open source z/OS tools from Dovetailed Technologies

On 13/01/2017 5:56 AM, Frank Swarbrick wrote:
> Can you give a bit more detail on how you are utilizing this Ant SSH process?
>  I don't know anything about Ant.  I am thinking/wondering how it might be
> used in conjunction with Git for source code management of z/OS COBOL
> programs (and jobs).  I know that Rocket is releasing a z/OS version of Git,
> but it still seems to me that for the main part of development (that is,
> other than the move of code to production) it would be useful to use Eclipse
> to update the source code on the local workstation and just send it (perhaps
> using this Ant SSH interface?) to z/OS to be compiled.  Or something like
> that!

I'm using Rockets git port for active development now it's GA (in fact I
was when it was still in beta). We use SMB network shares which are
mounted on Windows where I use Slickedit for C++ and HLASM. We run
bitbucket locally so the git servers are running on Windows servers. To
share code between different systems using git is easy. Once you've
cloned the repos just keep them in sync but doing "git push" on one
system and "git pull" on the other to fetch the updates. We've had code
review meetings where bugs are being fixed on different systems and then
pushed and pulled right there and then! All our Java development is done
using Eclipse on Windows. When we want to deploy it on z/OS we just use
the push/pull method and then build using maven. Git has revolutionized
the way we work. We also run Jira which has bitbucket integration. We
manage our projects using weekly agile sprints from a backlog using Jira
tasks. Each task is attached to a git branch in bitbucket (press of a
button). When the code is complete we use pull requests which double up
as code reviews (pull requests and merges are done by different members
of the team). We can then track every line of code to a Jira task.

Git has become indispensable. I've suggest to management that we should
pay Rocket for support.

> Thanks,
>
> Frank

Dovetailed Technologies, LLC<http://dovetail.com/>
dovetail.com
Using Co:Z SFTP-server, systems with OpenSSH or another SFTP compatible client
may transfer files directly to z/OS datasets, controlling all aspects of
dataset ...