On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 17:03:55 +0000, Frank Swarbrick wrote:

>Being COBOL we don't (currently) run our compiles under Unix.  Any thoughts
>about if/how this process might interface with 'traditional' z/OS things like
>ISPF and JCL?

Depends.  I have a Rexx EXEC that runs under z/OS UNIX using ADDRESS TSO
to start ISPF LM Services running an EXEC to update a PDS with ISPF
serialization.  All background.

And another that uses the SDSF Rexx API to unload JES spool to UNIX files.

I truly wish there were a way for a UNIX process  with X11 tunneling to pop
up in a user's desktop an x3270 session.  Or several.

We very successfully use NFS to mount Solaris filesystems on z/OS and
z/OS Classic data sets as directories on desktops.

/etc/startup.mk has suffix rules for:
# Suffix definitions
E:=                     # Executable
O:=.o                   # Object
S:=.s                   # Assembler
A:=.a                   # Archive (library)
P:=.p                   # Pascal
F:=.f                   # Fortran

But, ironically, not COBOL.  Small wonder that dinosaurs loathe z/OS UNIX.

-- gil