> I once had a customer say "PLEASE DON'T translate your manuals. We are used
> to technical materials in English and know
> what they mean. If you translate it into [French? German? I don't recall] we
> will have no idea what you are trying to say."

Which only shows how prevalent really rotten translations done by people who
don’t understand the material are. Il traduttore è un traditore, as the
Italians would say.

The translation people that Fuji Xerox had were really good (the German version
of the Alto and D-machine docs were both readable and understandable), but I
think Epson takes the prize for the manual for the MX80 printer.  I teach
technical writing occasionally, and that 25+ year old manual is still the one I
use examples from (IBM ID materials are 2nd in line – thanks, IBM).

Translation lives and dies by how well you understand what the author was
originally intending to say, which is why machine translation – and translation
done by the lowest bidder -- is still so poor. You get what you pay for.