ITschak, logically I think that works, but I wonder if initially the row's,
even if the data is not presented without the "+" would not the row still
display as 2 rows
if I am understaing correctly using the )MODEL CLEAR(xxxxxx) panel option may
be what you're looking for ?

I've done similar but using one row - I've never tried expanding beyond that

)MODEL CLEAR(SELECT) ROWS(ALL)

@Z+ #DDNAME #DSN #DISP1 #DISP2+

)INIT

.ZVARS='(SELECT)'