From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tom Conley
Sent: 14 February 2018 19:35
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Best Practices for z/OS Maintenance

On 2/14/2018 7:58 AM, Tom Marchant wrote:
> /SERVICE/ alone cannot handle more than one release (or maintenance level)
> concurrently.
>
> What I was talking about was using Automount to manage /SERVICE in a manner
> similar to the way many shops manage /u. When a path beginning with
> /SERVICE/RES001 is referenced by SMP/E, a filesystem named, e.g.
> SYS1.OMVS.RES001 will be mounted at that mount point, which Automount manages
> automatically.
>
> The DDDEFs for the Unix paths are edited using ZONEEDIT as Tom Conley wrote
> in another post. The only difference is that the path names all start with
> /SERVICE/resvol/ rather than just /SERVICE/ or just /resvol/. The reason is
> that you can't automount manage /.

Tommee likeee this automount idea, I'll have to check it out.  It would solve
one problem I have with cloning zFS's, where DFDSS does weird
(stuff) if the zFS filesystem is mounted.  Currently have a six-month PMR open
with IBM trying to hammer out exactly what DFDSS does with respect to DUMPing
and COPYing zFS filesystems, quite the nightmare.  I may owe you a beer
Monsieur Marchant.

Regards,
Tom Conley

MARKSANDSPENCER.COM
________________________________
 Unless otherwise stated above:
Marks and Spencer plc
Registered Office:
Waterside House
35 North Wharf Road
London
W2 1NW

Registered No. 214436 in England and Wales.

Telephone (020) 7935 4422
Facsimile (020) 7487 2670

www.marksandspencer.com

This e-mail is confidential. If you received it by mistake, please let us know
and then delete it from your system; you should not copy, disclose, or
distribute its contents to anyone nor act in reliance on this e-mail, as this
is prohibited and may be unlawful.