Jerry,

This PID (z/OS Unix Process id) ?
This sounds odd, since I would assume that each new dubbed process gets the
next available pid.

Perhaps you are referring to a "pid file" which is just file, say in
/var/run which tracks which pid is being used for a certain kind of daemon.

Can you provide more details?

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com