> On Mar 26, 2018, at 1:44 PM, Paul Gilmartin
> <0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 13:33:23 -0500, Edward Gould wrote:
>>>
>>> "IBM plans to discontinue delivery of z/OS platform products and service on
>>> magnetic tape on July 1, 2018.  ..."
>>
>> Congratulations to IBM. This sounds the death nell for z/OS at this install.
>>
> What will you do instead?  Have you plans to convert to another supplier?
> How long will it take?  Will you stumble along without support or upgrades?
> Have you found a contractor who will convert optical media or network to
> tape for you?  Is that acceptable to your security people and to IBM OCC?
>
> -- gil

Gil:

Told my manager this AM, he called IBM. They said yes it will be discontinued.
My manager called his VP. The VP started calling companies that will be putting
a bid in for conversion to Windows.
He has called 4 companies and they are coming in the next 3 weeks and go over
what is needed to convert everything off the MF to Windows.
The wiff of going poof is in the air.
Well its not like I am getting paid, I will be in full time retirement and not
being able to play in the sandbox anymore(:
Hope everybody is able to find jobs.
The only question now is timeframe.
I heard several people on the phone talking to their head hunters.

Ed