On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 1:16 PM, Paul Gilmartin <
0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 13:13:45 -0500, John McKown wrote:
> >>
> >​You did not indicate a language. For HLASM, I like this system macro:
> >IEPRMLB
> >ref:
> >https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.
> 0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.ieaa900/iea3a9_REQUEST_READMEMBER_
> option_of_IEFPRMLB.htm
> >
> >This is a macro to which you supply a DD name, a MEMBER name, and other
> >parameters such as a buffer area. In response, it will find and read that
> >member into the buffer for you. The only restriction is that the DSNs in
> >the concatenation must be RECFM=FB,LRECL=80.
> >
> What century is this?

When I read the documentation, it appeared to me that this functionality
has been in z/OS for some time. But it was not GUPI. And it was
specifically designed to process the system PARMLIB concatenation. I think
that is why IBM has this "restriction" on the LRECL and RECFM. Basically,
I'd bet that ?someone? wanted the functionality and IBM cleaned up what
they already had simply because it was more cost efficient to do that than
to expand the functionality.

What would be nice would be if IBM were to build a callable service around
this function and put it in as part of LE so that it could be used by any
of IBM's HLLs.

--
We all have skeletons in our closet.
Mine are so old, they have osteoporosis.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown