On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 14:45:47 -0500, John McKown wrote:

>What would be nice would be if IBM were to build a callable service around
>this function and put it in as part of LE so that it could be used by any
>of IBM's HLLs.

In assembler, the FIND macro does much of this.

In ISPF services, LMMFIND does much of this.

And you mentioned IEBCOPY.  What are IEBCOPY's restrictions on concatenations?

It would be nice if there were a general service for this.  Some programmers
would prefer that it not require LE.

The OP wanted the function in JCL.  This would require new syntax.

UNIX has a similar lack.  Many utilities rely on a colon-separated list of
directory paths (PATH, MANPATH, XFILESEARCHPATH, CLASSPATH, ...),
but I believe there's no uniform service to open a member from such a string.

-- gil