On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 4:17 PM, Paul Edwards <mutazi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A GETMAIN LOC=64 for 64-bit programs would be good.

I see absolutely no need for this. It would most likely just invoke the
current IARV64 code, in a "crippled" mode (i.e. IBM decides things that the
real IARV64 allows the programmer to choose at present). The programmer
would either deliberately dual path the code for the LOC=64​ needs, or use
a macro which would do the dual path for them.

> > How are you planning to justify all this work to IBM?
> > How much additional money in terms of hardware
> > purchases or software purchases will the writers of
> > AM(32) modules be spending with IBM, to justify all
> > the development and testing resources that your
> > growing list of changes will require?
>
> It's not AM32, it's AM-infinity, and it's the gold
> standard of computing as far as I can tell. People
> should migrate to z/Arch instead of x64 because
> x64 is likely to be saddled by needing special
> modes for 32 and 64 that don't exist on a pure
> 64-bit z/Arch.
>
> And there's no downside. 32-bit programs get
> access to a full 32-bit virtual memory, and
> 64-bit programs get access to a full 64-bit
> virtual memory.

​I really think you would be impressed by the IBMi. The hardware is a
slightly modified Power8 processor. The IBMi has 128 bit addressing right
now​. And there are no "lines" or "bars" in that anywhere. When I looked at
it a few years ago, it was restricted to only actually using 48 of the 128
bits. But it has already planned for the future. I cannot see anyone, ever,
being able to actually use an entire 128 bit address because there aren't
that many atoms in our current universe. 2^128-1 = 3.4E+38. So it's
impossible to build the hardware.

--
We all have skeletons in our closet.
Mine are so old, they have osteoporosis.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown