I don't think it's actually the case that it was all removed, even though I will agree that it is more difficult to find. I thought someone posted this link a few days ago, but it has been working fine for me:

https://www-304.ibm.com/servers/resourcelink/svc00100.nsf/pages/zosv2r1-pdf-download?OpenDocument

This is what I see one page level up from that:

z/OS Library
Search using IBM Knowledge Center       | V2R3  | V2R2  | V2R1 | *
Search at the element or book level     | V2R3  | V2R2  | V2R1 | *
Download books in PDF format            | V2R3  | V2R2  | V2R1 |
Download Adobe Indexed PDF collection   | V2R3  | V2R2  | V2R1 |
Download content for use with (KC)      | V2R3  | V2R2  | V2R1 |

(I hope the formatting survives!)

Of those options, I see that there are no V2R1 links for the first two (the search options), and no V2R2 link for the last one as I write this.

The biggest problem with this is the unavailability of release-specific search for 2.1, and in not necessarily knowing what things documented in KC and in the the PDFs for 2.2 and 2.3 are implemented on 2.1. For all practical purposes, with limited exceptions, though, all the information you need for 2.1 is probably in the 2.2 books, too.

Behind the scenes, I know that people *are* working on this, even if the fruits of their efforts have not yet become apparent. I am pretty far removed from those efforts, so I won't try to summarize status or predict anything, but I can tell you that the issue has caught some fairly high-level attention.

All that said, on behalf of IBM I can only apologize for the current state of affairs. Like you, I hope it is short-lived.

Tom Conley wrote:
Years ago IBM spent many millions of dollars to convert all their documentation to KC.  The rationale was largely to make the doc searchable by Internet search engines like Google.  A week ago, someone at IBM unilaterally decided to remove this doc, immediately making Google searches against IBM doc completely worthless.  It's not just one or two documents or links.  ALL z/OS V2R1 CONTENT WAS REMOVED FROM THE INTERNET BY IBM!!  DO A GOOGLE SEARCH, AND NONE OF THE LINKS WORK!!

Peter's anger is justified.  IBM has screwed up royally here, and as far as I can tell, they're not lifting a finger to fix the situation.

Regards,
Tom Conley

John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie